|Job Posting Number:||TEMP10027|
|Position:||Director, Government and Industry Relations - 12 Month Contract|
|Location:||Mississauga - Derry Rd.||Reports to:||V.P. G&Corporate R|
|Business Unit:||Govt. & Corp. Relations||Division:||Govt. & Corporate Relations|
|Hours per Week:||35||Rate of Pay:||Commensurate with range and|
|Number of Openings:||1||candidate’s experienece|
|Open:||October 4, 2018||Close:||October 15, 2018|
The Government and Industry Relations Director reports to the Vice President, Government and Corporate Relations and is accountable for directing the development, implementation and execution of the Corporation’s government and industry stakeholder relations strategies. This role identifies and supports activities required to build, maintain and leverage a highly effective advocacy program around government and regulatory policy at the provincial and federal levels of government and delivers proactive municipal relations across all municipalities (shareholder and non-shareholder) served by the organization. The director advances strategic business objectives by fostering targeted relationships with industry partners through trade associations, government agencies and interactions with other energy utilities. The director is also responsible for supporting the corporation’s regulated and unregulated business development efforts by providing research and advocacy support for the corporation’s objectives including merger and acquisition activities.
- Partners with the VP, Government and Corporate Relations to develop and implement the corporation’s government relations strategies across federal, provincial and municipal levels of government
- Develops and strengthens relationships with elected officials, government staff, administration and regulatory officials and key decision makers to enhance the corporation’s visibility and influence
- Monitors the activities of the three levels of government and keeps senior leadership informed of the latest proposed rules and regulations originating from the relevant provincial Ministries including their potential impact on utilities and participate in government policy consultations on behalf of the organization
- Prepares briefing materials, legislative memos, presentations to corporations, government and industry and communications to support advocacy on regulatory issues
- Identifies policy issues that affect the corporation’s interests and mission, and assists in developing solutions to resolve these issues
- Represents the corporation at external events, conferences, meetings with government etc.
- Provides guidance to leaders and team members of government-related information, and develops/recommends engagement strategies, including supporting the senior leadership team with related government activities as required
- Provides advice and support for the CEO and senior management for their activities on external industry committees, Association Boards etc.
- Participates in industry groups to develop policy positions in response to consultations originating with the Ontario Energy Board and leads the related advocacy on behalf of the corporation
- Ensures all lobbying activity is compliant with all applicable laws, regulations and the Code of Ethics
- Works to broaden the relationship between the corporation and external parties, leading to collaborative projects that advance the organizations strategic goals and support government-related activities
- Proactively builds relationships with companies where there is a high potential for business opportunities
- Partners with Corporate Relations team to plan, manage and promote occasional events to bring industry partners together
- Provides overall people leadership and direction through coaching, development, performance management and resource planning
- Translates organization strategy into annual business plans and budgets and manages resources accordingly
- Oversees department projects and key initiatives to ensure quality and timely completion within budget
- Recommends and implements new or enhanced policies, procedures and processes to improve operational effectiveness
- Ensures compliance to legislative, regulatory and Health & Safety policies, procedures and standards
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Business, Communications, Public Relations, or a related field
- Graduate degree an asset
- Must hold and maintain a valid class “G” driver’s license
- Knowledge of the energy and utility industries, including a solid understanding of the regulatory environment and a fundamental knowledge of electrical distribution systems
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Minimum 10 years’ progressive leadership experience in government, political advocacy, government relations, communications and/or stakeholder management
- In-depth political and public administration knowledge of the Government of Ontario, key local governments and related stakeholders.
- Significant corporate experience, with an ability to build relationships and understanding of organizational culture
- Experience in managing public relations issues with transparency and balance and the ability to handle confidential information and material with the highest degree of professional responsibility
- Experience in a utility and a unionized environment an asset
- Superior ability to lead change and engage, develop and motivate teams
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with all stakeholders, including elected officials, government staff, administration officials at the city level and regulatory professionals
- Superior strategic planning skills, with the ability to critically analyze complex information and evaluate the long-term impact and risks of decisions
- Superior oral, written and presentation skills, with the ability to organize and convey complex information in a compelling way
- Ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple projects and initiatives within established timelines
- Strong conflict negotiation skills, with the ability to influence and resolve complex and critical issues
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for this position and meet the qualifications, please submit your resume by clicking on the button below.
Should you have any questions regarding this opportunity, or need assistance in applying for the posting, please send your inquiry to email@example.com.
You will be contacted regarding the status of your submission and/or expression of interest
Alectra is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a recruitment process that respects the dignity and independence of all candidates. Should you require accommodation at any stage in the recruitment, assessment and selection process please consult with Alectra’s People Team.