Reporter – Contract Position
Queen's Park Briefing
Location: Ontario Legislative Building – Queen’s Park
QP Briefing is a paid membership-based online news source, covering Ontario politics and policy.
QP Briefing memberships are held by stakeholders, professionals, business leaders, and Ontario parliamentarians. Our team provides deep analytical content for a wide array of high-level decision makers, at the intersection of private- and public-sector affairs. QP Briefing’s in-depth coverage keeps our members at the forefront of complex policy issues, political developments and private-sector affairs.
You’ll be joining a small team that delivers exhaustive coverage of the policies and politics of the Ontario government. You will be responsible for covering the education, criminal justice and Indigenous affairs beats, and will share in the responsibility for political reporting. You will write insightful and in-depth articles and break news. Our subscribers include top decision-makers inside and outside government, and they rely on our coverage to stay current on the issues big and small arising out of the legislature.
To succeed here, you'll need in-depth knowledge of the legislative process and the current private- and public-sector players. You'll follow bills from introduction to royal assent, cover the key players in the biggest debates in the province, and keep a watchful eye for the overlooked stories that deserve coverage. We're looking for a reporter who is skilled at developing sources, writes analytical and pithy articles, and possesses an endless appetite for provincial politics.
- Produce daily articles focused on the Ontario legislature and its stakeholders
- Take responsibility for multiple daily and weekly reoccurring features
- Report on breaking news, nurture developing stories and cover events
- Develop, organize and present innovative approaches to quickly turn around news coverage
- Seek out material from a range of sources and contacts within the government sector
- Monitor social media in real time and actively use platforms for newsgathering, reporting and promotion
- Attend relevant industry events for reporting and networking purposes
- Build strong relationships with decision makers, the Ontario Public Service and private sector stakeholders
- A journalism degree or diploma
- A demonstrated passion for political news
- A strong interest in the legislative process and its key players
- Ability to source and write quality news stories and features
- Ability to produce concise, clear and accurate copy on a tight deadline
- Excellent time-management skills
- Familiarity with The Canadian Press style book
To apply, please visit the Application Portal
We thank all applicants for applying - only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.