Your morning briefing

Your morning briefing

Headlines

A new poll finds nearly half of Toronto residents give a thumbs-down to both Premier Doug Ford and his plan to cut the size of city council in half, while a third approve of the ward reduction, the Toronto Star reports. The other 19 per cent are neutral or don't know what to think of the drastic measure, according to the survey from Forum Research. Meanwhile, fully 70 per cent of Torontonians say they would cast their ballot for Mayor John Tory if an election were held today, putting him well in front of last-minute mayoral candidate Jennifer Keesmaat, who garnered support from 30 per cent of poll respondents.

Toronto lawyer and Ward 13 candidate Rocco Achampong plans to seek legal recourse over Ford's abrupt move, saying he will ask the Superior Court of Ontario to halt the premier from slashing city council to 25 seats from from a planned 47. Echoing Tory, he says the premier's decision "basically changed the rules of the game in the middle of an election," Global News reports. Achampong, a member of the PC Party of Ontario, ran for mayor in 2010 before endorsing Rob Ford. The would-be councillor says Ford's move may have good intentions, but is unconstitutional.

And if the flurry of changes since the June 7 election have your head spinning, here's a timeline recap of the past month in Ontario politics courtesy of CTV.

Meanwhile, the backlash builds against Ford's most recent surprise move, with today's city council session promising to be a heavily attended one.

Our latest stories:

In other news:

Per Postmedia, a Toronto municipal lawyer lays out the city's limited legal options in the wake of Ford's announcement.

CBC News explains some of the potential changes, both constrained and extreme, that Ford has the power to carry out in his capacity as premier.

The carp are coming! The invasive species has been found in Lake Huron, with the Georgian Bay Great Lakes Foundation issuing an alert last week and calling for Ohio — the fish are reportedly reproducing in the Ohio River — and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to start eradication measures ASAP.

A key program keeping nurses in Ontario is safe for now after the government took down an advisory from its site warning it was under review, the Hamilton Spectator reports.

The third Sidewalk Toronto public meeting will happen Aug. 14 and 15 — but it's already run out of space, raising questions about access to an effectively registration-required event on the Google-affiliated project along the Toronto waterfront, Bianca Wylie writes on Medium.

A wood pellet-fuelled Thunder Bay generating station has shut down for good, Ontario Power Generation and the Independent Electricity System Operator announced Friday, CBC News notes.

An explosion at a Hydro One power station in North York left about 35,000 Toronto Hydro customers in the dark overnight on Saturday, CBC News reports.

From the opinion pages:

Bills and motions

Resuming the debate adjourned on July 26 on the motion regarding government priorities.

 

Christopher Reynolds

QP BRIEFING Reporter

Leave a Reply

Close
Close

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

Close

Close