The Business Council is hiring a Communications Officer to join us in Ottawa! The ideal candidate will have exceptional writing, presentation and critical-thinking skills, a keen interest in public policy and an understanding of the major competitiveness challenges facing Canada and Canadian companies. Ability to work in both official languages would be an asset, as would experience in journalism or corporate communications. Applicants should be comfortable working in a fast-paced organization, managing projects and working both independently and as part of a team.
Support the Senior VP (Policy and Communications) in the development, management and dissemination of communications products/materials/websites for the Council.
- Develop strategies for dissemination of communications products, maintain website content, and develop and manage social media content
- Schedule and coordinate print and broadcast interview requests for Council team and President and CEO and accompany President and CEO to appearances;
- Research material as directed;
- Draft news releases, articles, material for op-eds and reports;
- Revise and edit reports and external-facing Council materials;
- Monitor media coverage of Council issues and mentions – as well as member updates – to highlight in communications;
- Coordinate content development and production of the Annual Report;
- Work with the Associate Communications Officer to develop visual products and regularly update the website;
- Provide content and direction to the Associate Communications Officer for development of the Council’s digital marketing materials;
- Identify creative approaches to keep Council communications materials fresh, relevant and accessible;
- Work closely with all members of the Council’s policy group to maximize the effectiveness of the Council’s advocacy initiatives and communications activities.
- Track and evaluate communications and social media strategies to continually improve advocacy, relevance and user experience;
- Provide input, support research and develop communications that align with the Council’s annual strategic priorities.
- University degree or certificate from a degree granting institution;
- Knowledge of technology;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Some experience in communications/media relations and policy development desirable;
- Basic understanding of priority issues for the Council (e.g. macro-economic and fiscal, competitiveness, innovation, energy and the environment, trade and foreign investment).
Demonstrated ability to apply the following behavioral competencies on the job:
Communications: Excellent oral and written skills – ability to write clearly, succinctly and understandably;
Flexibility: Agility in adapting to change;
Team work: Able to work effectively and productively with others;
Interpersonal: Able to effectively communicate, build rapport and relate well to all kinds of people;
Organization and planning: Able to be systematic and orderly in meeting objectives;
Creativity and innovation: Able to identify new approaches, models or adapt existing ones.
Key responsibilities are outlined in the job description.
Please send a detailed summary of relevant experience and letter of application to email@example.com.
Applicants will be asked to provide two writing samples.