With offices in Canadian embassies and consulates in Europe, Asia and the Americas, the Ministry of International Trade's, International Trade & Investment Offices are headed by people familiar with the needs of their particular market—and the business advantages Ontario can offer it. We are also an important resource for local economic development offices interested in attracting foreign investment or finding export markets.
Situated in the Canadian Consulate General, a unique four-year opportunity exists with the Ministry to represent Ontario in San Francisco, California. Bring your strong knowledge of global economic development and trade issues to promote and project Ontario's image for business opportunities.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this high profile role, you will:
• work closely with provincial and federal colleagues around the world to drive investment, trade and science & technology opportunities for Ontario
• assist in determining specific priorities, objectives and strategies for trade, investment and general business relations with San Francisco, California and other neighbouring territories as assigned
• propose to the ministry annual programming for San Francisco and California and other neighbouring territories as assigned, and implement as approved
• raise Ontario's international profile through strategic channels, including media, social media and speaking opportunities
• initiate and support incoming business delegations from Ontario
• actively support the planning and implementation of Ministerial and Premier-led trade missions
• provide advice to senior government and business leaders
• provide high-quality intelligence on San Francisco, California and other neighbouring territories as assigned
• work with various ministries, levels of government, private-sector companies and organizations, and academic institutions on opportunities to advance Ontario's interests in San Francisco, California and other neighbouring territories as assigned
Note: you will be working at the Canadian Consulate General in San Francisco, California.
How do I qualify?
• you are a Canadian Citizen
• you have the ability to obtain and maintain Canadian Diplomatic Passport and Diplomatic Accreditation / Visa / Official ID in host country (cannot hold citizenship of host country)
Note: the above-noted requirement will also apply to any family members that may accompany the successful candidate to the host country
• you have the ability to obtain and maintain Top Secret Security Clearance from the Government of Canada
• you are able to undergo Medical / Fitness for Duty Assessment
• you have extensive knowledge of Ontario's business, economic and innovation interests and objectives in San Francisco to attract investment and trade and build Ontario's innovation ecosystem
• you have sound knowledge of Ontario's and California governments, economies, decision-making processes and business cultures
• you have knowledge of policy development, decision-making and program delivery processes
Stakeholder Management and Consultation Skills:
• you can provide high-level consultation, advice and recommendations to senior officials to promote Ontario's business interests in California
• you have negotiation skills to guide and influence stakeholder decisions
• you demonstrate a high degree of political acuity to understand Ontario and California's socio-economic and political issues and identify potential opportunities, issues and impacts
Project and Issues Management Skills:
• you have analytical and problem-solving skills to synthesize complex and sensitive material, and handle a wide range of business issues
• you have leadership and project management skills to lead complex projects and initiatives
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• you have interpersonal and oral communication skills to give presentations, chair meetings and represent the organization
• you have written communication skills to write high-level correspondence, briefing notes and reports
• you can prepare spreadsheets, correspondence, conduct research and prepare reports using computer software
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 48 months, 900 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.