Ontario Securities Commission (OSC), Toronto ON
Communications & Public Affairs
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. The Commission’s mandate is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices and to foster fair and efficient capital markets and confidence in capital markets.
The Communications & Public Affairs Branch plays an integral role in promoting the OSC’s reputation as an effective and responsive securities regulator. The Branch provides strategic communications advice to ensure the timely and effective communication of OSC priorities, policies and actions across all corporate channels. These include stakeholder engagement, executive speeches, corporate materials, employee communications, media relations, issues management, OSC Website and intranet, and enterprise social media.
The Public Affairs Specialist is responsible for developing and providing informed strategic communications counsel, writing high-quality positioning materials and news releases, and contributing to the OSC’s corporate social media strategy. This individual works closely with internal subject matter experts to produce media plans consistent with the OSC’s overall strategic plan and communication objectives. They have strong issues management experience and a solid understanding of the Canadian capital markets.
- Anticipate and prepare for emerging media issues, including briefing Manager of Public Affairs, Director and internal subject matter experts.
- Develop communication materials such as news releases, Q&A materials, media plans, positioning documents and social media content.
- Measure the impact of OSC communications initiatives and prepare and present media and social media analysis reports.
- Work collaboratively with internal subject matter experts by offering strategic communications advice and supporting their communication objectives.
- Work with Branch colleagues to deliver an integrated approach to communications.
You offer the following:
- Solid knowledge of the Canadian capital markets and securities regulation.
- Ability to stay on top of emerging issues in a proactive fashion.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working across all levels of the organization to reach consensus on most appropriate strategy.
- Superior writing and editing skills, with a strong commitment to generating high quality, technically accurate and concise materials for diverse audiences.
- Background or experience with social media and related tools for monitoring online sentiment and engagement on specific topics.
- Solid professionalism and discretion in handling confidential issues.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Communications or Journalism.
- Six or more years of media relations or public affairs experience, preferably in a financial services or regulatory environment.
- Completion of the Canadian Securities Course is an asset.
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC.
Apply online at https://www.osc.gov.on.ca/en/careers.htm, by June 12, 2017.
The OSC is committed to providing an inclusive workplace environment that meets the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities. Please go to Accessibility at the OSC to review the OSC’s policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace.