The Ontario Real Estate Association, Toronto ON
The Ontario Real Estate Association represents over 70,000 brokers and salespeople who are members of the 39 real estate boards throughout the province. Members of the association may use the “REALTOR®” trademark, which identifies them as real estate professionals who subscribe to a high standard of ethics and service.
OREA serves REALTORS® through a wide variety of professional publications, educational programs, government lobbying and other services.
We are currently looking for a bright, dynamic individual to join our Government Relations team to come help build the profession that puts people into homes!
Reporting to the Director of Government Relations, the Manager of Policy is responsible for leading, supporting and participating in policy development projects and assignments that support OREA’s advocacy objectives including protecting the Canadian Dream of home ownership and promoting high professional standards in the real estate industry.
The Manager of Policy studies and interprets the general policy direction and programs of the provincial government and develops recommendations regarding specific policy/program options. The position also analyzes and evaluates regulatory, legislative and other changes to government policies/programs to determine their impact on REALTORS®, the real estate market and housing.
- Develop initiatives and provide position recommendations to the Director and CEO.
- Provide policy analysis and recommendations.
- Research and synthesize real estate policy and program information, identify policy options, prepare policy documents and evaluate potential impacts of policy decisions.
- Oversee research design, collection and statistical analysis of data (quantitative/qualitative), interpret and communicate results that impacts public policy for the organization.
- Lead scans of issues, legislation and developments that impact policy development for the organization.
- Draft impactful reports, presentations, papers, submissions and briefing notes.
- Work in collaboration with stakeholders, including internal stakeholders (staff and volunteers/advocates) and external stakeholders (think tanks, academics, elected officials, senior government representatives, and industry) to promote the organization’s position, build consensus, promote change and call to action.
- Participate in industry events to promote the organization’s advocacy position.
- As required, direct and lead industry funded projects that are in alignment with the
organization’s strategic direction.
As the successful candidate for the Manager of Policy role you will have:
- Master’s degree from a recognized university in public policy, political science, economics
or social sciences or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Three years of policy analysis experience in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated understanding of provincial government policy development processes with a
history of involvement in/or knowledge of, government. Experience working with the
Government of Ontario or at Queen’s Park is an asset.
- Adept at researching, interpreting and communicating quantitative and qualitative literature
and identifying potential implications to the real estate and housing industry.
- Recognized ability to translate and communicate complex public policy in simple terms.
- Ability to draft meaningful policies and recommendations, and write the impactful narratives
from data and supporting evidence.
- Consensus-building, consultation and negotiations skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written including superior report-writing,
and presentation skills.
- Ability to conceptualize easily, learn quickly and, independently exercise good judgment and
- Effective project management skills.
- Ability to participate and contribute effectively as part of a team.
- Not for profit experience would be considered a plus.
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter, in confidence to the attention
of email@example.com on or before May 22, 2017. We thank all applicants in advance for their
interest in OREA but only those selected for interview will be contacted.
OREA is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices. If you require an
accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Human Resources