|Reporting to the Vice President, Communications, the Director, Public and Government Affairs will be responsible for providing leadership and coordination for all Bayer public affairs, policy, NGO advocacy, relations to political stakeholders and senior governmental relations in the country at the federal, provincial and community levels.
The successful incumbent will direct, coordinate and control the management of all PGA activities fulfilling the requirements based on country laws and local ordinances according to the parameters given by Global PGA and the businesses.
This position is rated at Level VS2.0
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with all Bayer Divisions and the Market Access team to identify the top strategic issues and initiatives impacting each respective Division in terms of threats and opportunities
- Defining areas of strategic action that are aligned with government priorities to support business objectives
- Raising the profile of Bayer within all levels of government to ensure a positive relationship, compelling them to seek our engagement and advice
- Developing a proactive engagement strategy and strategic dialogue to help mitigate potentially harmful policy or regulations with a long-term view
- Working as a Senior strategic liaison with industry associations, NGOs, institutional and community stakeholders as it concerns the Bayer brand
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with key contacts in the federal (Ottawa) and provincial governments with a focus on Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Quebec
- Developing briefing and advocacy material to be used in meetings with stakeholders and government officials
- Monitoring parliamentary proceedings, track legislation and regulations, committee hearings, public events, related budget and policy announcements
- Identifying and providing early warning to emerging issues and strategic and tactical leadership in managing response
- Developing and executing yearly public affairs plans
- Managing relationship with external public affairs counsel and communications services (as necessary)
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (Political Science, History, Law)
- Minimum 10 years experience working in senior capacity in federal and/or provincial governments and/or public affairs within an agency or corporate role
- International affairs, trade and industry (economic development) experience preferred
- Life sciences industry experience would be an asset
- Ability to be hands-on as well as strategic.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Deep knowledge of federal and provincial government and political landscapes; comfortable engaging with senior political and bureaucratic officials
- Quick study in order to understand and address complex issues in multi-stakeholder environment
- Communications experience with background in master narrative, reputation management, crisis communications and media relations
- Strong research, analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to employ innovative or out of the box thinking
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills
- Strong relationships with top tier political media would be an asset
- English/French bilingual preferred
Bayer welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Candidates participating in our selection process requiring accommodation due to a disability or medical need are encouraged to notify the Bayer representative that they will be meeting with to ensure appropriate arrangements can be made.
To have an open position posted to QP Briefing, please contact Alexandria J. Shannon