Council of Academic Hospitals of Ontario, Toronto ON
Interim Director, Policy and Member Relations - 14 Month Contract
The Council of Academic Hospitals of Ontario (CAHO) is currently seeking an Interim Director of Policy and Member Relations to cover a maternity leave. CAHO is the association of Ontario’s 24 academic hospitals and their research institutes. The CAHO community is committed to harnessing their collective research and innovation strengths to advance world-leading patient care and a sustainable health care system.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Interim Director of Policy and Member Relations will lead the policy development, research and member relations’ functions of CAHO. The incumbent will work closely with the Executive Director and a team of policy advisors to support the CAHO Council in setting and achieving its strategic directions.
- managing the activities of CAHO’s standing committees and task forces to address specific policy issues;
- developing CAHO policy positions and directing research to support the development and implementation of same;
- developing and maintaining effective working relationships with senior executives of member hospitals and peer associations;
- proactively identifying and facilitating opportunities to advance the CAHO mission and policy objectives.
Major Job Functions
- Lead the work of CAHO’s standing committees to achieve the goals derived from CAHO’s strategic plan, including development and implementation of annual work plans of the committees, issues management, direction of policy team to ensure relevant research and authorship of policy papers;
- Direct policy team to build compelling policy case to support Ontario’s research hospitals by directing the gathering of sound data and its translation into meaningful evidence for decision making;
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Director, Stakeholder Relations, act as the interface between CAHO committees, external associations, the civil service and other stakeholders to facilitate issue alignment and consensus building;
- Actively monitor emerging issues pertinent to research hospitals, which may include policy, legislative, scientific and sociological shifts;
- Lead and manage a highly productive staff team to deliver expected results.
Qualifications / Skills
- 10-15 years of progressive experience in public policy or related environment (health care experience is a nice to have);
- Inspiring leadership skills with a minimum of 5-7 years of effective, team-building and management experience in a dynamic, professional environment;
- Strong organizational skills with experience and aptitude managing multiple complex projects in a multi-stakeholder environment;
- Demonstrated superior judgment, negotiation and consensus building skills;
- A strong understanding of the government decision making process and political acumen;
- Excellent communication, presentation, writing and research skills; honed through Masters-level training in a relevant discipline (MHA, MPA, or other);
- Proven self-starter and strategic thinker;
- Strong collaboration and innovation skills.
Please send a cover letter, your résumé and salary expectations to email@example.com by October 9, 2016. Please state Director, Policy and Member Relations in the subject line. Although we thank all applicants who apply, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agency solicitation please.